Talking to your daughter about her body is a tricky subject. What do I tell her? What do I not tell her? How will this affect her in the long run? Parenting is hard! And the difficulties only increase when your daughter starts to recognize things about her own body and its changes. Here are some tips regarding how to talk to your daughter about her body and how you can promote positive body image within your family:
1. Don’t talk to her about her body too often unless it’s to teach her something about the female body. Teach her about how the body works, but don’t mention when she loses weight or gains weight. But, DO tell your daughter she is beautiful! Teach your daughter self-love! If your child’s weight-gain or weight loss becomes noticeable, make subtle changes to family meals. Try to recognize and talk with your daughter about her feelings, as it is important to distinguish whether weight-loss or weight-gain are caused by an emotional issue your daughter may be having. In this case it needs to be discussed, in a positive, non-confronting way.
Suri in dress from benedita.co.uk
2. Don’t comment on other women’s weight. Saying that someone is beautiful is fine, but no weight related comments of any kind!
Suri in Binky Littles Fashion
3. Cook together! Bake a cake, yes with lots of butter, because it’s fun and delicious and cake is not their enemy! Change things up and one week cook a healthy chicken and salad together. It is important to talk your daughter about healthy food choices, but also let her know its ok to indulge once in a while. Teach her healthy food choice in a positive, fun and constructive way.
Suri in IK Fashion
4. Lead by example! Love your body, make healthy choices, exercise regularly. Adolescents learn from looking at what’s going on around them, their greatest lessons come from their Mum and Dad!
Suri in Burberry Kids
5. Love your daughter! No one needs to be told this, but it’s the most important step! Let her know everyday that she is loved. It has nothing to do with her looks or her weight, it is love, plain and simple and it’s the most important thing in her world. Listen to what she wants to achieve in her life, however incredible, and help her achieve it.
Sofia and Suri in Burberry
Writer: Rebecca Bennett
Thanks for the support and love 🙂 Your REglam Team xx